In common parlance, one may hear some people say, ''are not the hardships and afflictions that people face simply a sign that either there's no God
, or that God is not really a merciful one''?
. If one were to give thought to the positive effects of trials and tribulations, one would not ask such a question. Ibn Rajab mentions the followiing benefits of trials and trbulations:--
1. Trials and tribulations are a means by which Allah removes sins from a person.
2. Facing trials and tribulations in the proper manner, with patience, is a great source of reward and Allah's pleasure.
3. Trials and tribulation make a person recall the sins he has committed..this should lead to repentance and reform.
4. It is through trials and tribulations that a person can experience the characteristic of patience.
5. Trials and tribulations soften a person's heart and make her submit to God. A person who never faces hardship may become haughty, arrogant and cold-hearted.
6. Trials and tribulations make a person realise that he can't rely, solely, on himself or others. He can only rely on God, who is the only true source of help and assistance.
If a person truly realizes and understands the foregoing, he will come to know that the bounty that comes from Allah to a believer due to his trials is greater than the bounty that comes from Him during his time of ease.
For further reading on this, see
Commentary on the 40 Hadith of al- Nawawi by
Jamal al- Din M. Zarabozo.